The Crimson Dragon
|Nicknames||Kuri-kun (by Eto)|
The Crimson Dragon
The Red Beast
The Red Dragon Emperor (shared with Ddraig)
Partner (by Ddraig)
Bloody Dragon Emperor (by the One-Eyed King)
|Hair Color||Bloody Red|
Eto Yoshimura (lover)
|Affiliations||Occult Research Club (former) |
Aogiri Tree (former)
SSS Rated Ghoul
|“||I don't give a damn if your Eto-chan's precious person... You hurt Buchou and the others... That means you have no right to complain if I kill you... Right?||”|
–Kurisei's declaration to Tatara
Kurisei is the result of the personalities of both Issei Hyoudou and Kurimuzon merging together after having accepted one another. As a result, he shares characteristics from both.
Kurisei is both a Reincarnated Devil, and an artificial Ghoul, thus being the first ever hybrid between the two species, possessing the Kagune of both the Non-Killing Owl, Yoshimura, and the Bikaku of an unnamed Ghoul. In addition, on his left arm, he possesses the Sacred Gear, Boosted Gear, effectively making him a terrifying opponent to face. He is recorded as an SSS-Rated Ghoul in the CCG database under the alias, "The Crimson Dragon," and is labelled a more dangerous threat than even the One-Eyed Owl herself.
AppearanceKurisei is a young man in his early adulthood, originally having messy, long white hair born from the result of him being tortured by Naki, but later gained bloody red hair as a result of being brutally beaten by Tatara when he defended Rias Gremory from being killed. Thinking it would be a pain to wash it out, he left the blood in his hair, and cut it down to a much shorter length. He also has soft brown eyes, but wears an eyepatch over his right, as it is now constantly active for unknown reasons. His casual attire consists of a red hoodie and a dark blue v-neck, complete with a brown belt and denim jeans with worn sneakers. As a waiter at the cafe, :re, he wears a dress shirt with a black vest and a black tie, along with an apron and black dress pants.
While out hunting, he wears his hood over his head, and instead of his previous mask, he wears a full face-mask made by Uta, which has sharp fangs for a mouth and slitted eyes with tribal markings on the sides. This mask led to his secondary identity to the CCG, "The Red Beast."
Kurisei shares many traits from both of his previous personalities. From Issei, he has adopted his more serious, mature traits. He is kind, courageous, and unwaveringly determined of wanting to protect those who are important to him despite almost dying by the hands of his opponents. He's also very caring, "putting his nose on other peoples business," as he helped Eto get over her past and grievances with her father, even managing to her reconcile with Yoshimura. He has also managed to do the same with Kiba, Akeno, and Akeno prior to his encounter with Aogiri, and due to this, he gained strong friendship from his comrades and affection from most girls of the Occult Research Club. At first, he was oblivious to their affections, believing that they were simply teasing him, but later realized their feelings after his personalities accepted one another, and merged.
That said, he also retains traits from Kurimuzon as well. He has a slightly naive mentality, often taking things at face-value, and is quite quick to lose his temper when angered, especially by "noise"; however, he is very open around others. He is also very attached to Eto, who had kept his sanity all throughout his torture, and previously viewed her as someone very dear and special to him, harboring romantic feelings that she had gladly reciprocated. He still harbors strong romantic feelings of her, and has a protective nature of her, and is easily angered when someone insults her, or speaks poorly of her.
Kurisei also has his own unique traits as well. He is very understanding of others, and is more than willing to help. He is also very protective of his friends, and cares for them a great deal. The best known example of how much he cares for them is when his memories returned after the merging of personalities. Recalling both his first encounter with them as Kurimuzon, and the Auction Raid, he feels immense guilt for having nearly killed them, and believes that he is a danger to them, opting to instead leave them, both out of fear for their safety, and unable to be with them, knowing that he had nearly killed his friends.
After failing to confess his feelings for Rias Gremory and being rebuked by the Occult Research Club for this failure, Issei Hyodou decides to clear his head on a walk, debating that his internal trauma after his death at the hands of Raynare has left him unable to. Just as he is about to return and head back to the clubroom, Issei is attacked by two ghouls, Tatara and Noro, and is defeated by Tatara after a short fight, losing his left arm. The Occult Research Club eventually shows up, but they are defeated by Tatara with ease. They witness Issei stabbed by Noro's kagune and appearantly eaten, as the two ghouls leave the scene.
An uncounscious Issei is carried at Aogiri Tree's headquarters and handed over to Dr. Akihiro Kanou, who performs a surgery on him, implanting Yoshimura's and an unknown ghoul's organs, thus turning Issei into a chimera-type half-Devil, half-Ghoul hybrid.
Issei later awakens in Aogiri Tree's prison, and meets Seidou Takizawa, a captured Ghoul Investigator. Takizawa informs him that he is among Aogiri's prisoners. Upon noticing his left arm grew back, Issei is informed by Takizawa that he had become a Ghoul, much to Issei's denial. Then, a blonde-haired Ghoul, known as Naki, makes his appearance.
Naki took Issei to his "playroom", applied RC suppressants on his left eye and procceded to torture him to extreme and horrific lenghts, from ripping his nails and toes to inserting a Komodo Dragon in his body through a cut in his chest. Whenever Naki was done for the day, Issei was visited by a girl in bandages, Eto, who would often come to check up on him and comfort him. The two bonded to the point Issei started wondering if he was starting to fall in love with Eto. During his limited time in the prison, he arranges an escape with Takizawa and the rest of the prisoners.
At one point, Issei is given an "one week break", which he spends in the cells with the prisoners. Taking advantage of the low security, Issei, Takizawa and the others manage to make their escape, but are eventually intercepted by Aogiri's security guards. Issei decides to stay behind and hold the guards off as Takizawa and the others make their escape, much to their reluctance. Unable to summon his Boosted Gear, Issei relies on his kagune instead, and manages to hold them off, until a blue-haired ghoul, later revealed to be Ayato Kirishima, arrives at the scene and defeats Issei with ease, rendering him uncounscious.
Issei later awakens back in Naki's room, as the latter confronts him about his failed escape attempt and proceeds to resume the torture. At one point, Naki brings in Yu and Tabane, two lovers, and gives Issei an ultimatum with a 15 seconds time limit: who of the two would he spare? Naki grabs Tabane with his kagune, and Yu starts pleading with Issei to be killed instead, causing Issei to reluctantly pick Yu before the time limit stops. As Naki stabs Yu with his kagune, Issei screams that he will kill Naki once he gets out of there, but the latter laughs maniacally before resuming the physical torture. In a state of despair, Issei begins to halucinate "Raynare", who taunts him, reminscing over what happened since Issei failed to confess to Rias. Issei, enraged, attacks and defeats her, then starts "eating" her, losing his memories in the process as his hair turns white due to the stress.
Later, Eto arrives to find the room ravaged, with Issei in the middle of it, eating one of Naki's subordinates. Despite his loss of memory, he recognizes Eto as the two share a somewhat tender moment. When Naki arrives at the scene, angry that his playroom has been damaged, Issei overpowers him, rendering his torturer uncounscious, and proceeds to eat him, until Eto stops him from doing so. Noticing how loyal he is to her, Eto decides to name him Kurimuzon, and have him join Aogiri as her weapon.
Volume 3: A Dragon Reforged Edit
Powers and Abilities/EquipmentEdit
Demonic Power: Kurisei has all the powers and abilities common to Devils, including the power to cast spells.
- Dragon Shot (魔力弾ドラゴンショット, Doragon Shotto): One of Kurisei's signature moves. Kurisei fires a beam of energy by concentrating his magical powers. This move is usually used in tandem with the Boosted Gear to increase its destructive powers. He has also developed a small scale Dragon Shot that is meant for knocking out humans while fending off the members of the Hero Faction who are humans. After his fight with Sirzechs, being inspired by the way he uses his Power of Destruction, Kurisei starts working on how to redirect his Dragon Shot by moving them in different directions, first using it in Volume 9 against Cao Cao.
Flame Blaze: Following his training with Tannin, Kurisei learned how to use Dragon Flames through Boosted Gear. He first inhale an amount of air to fill his lungs, then uses his demonic powers to produce a small flame in within his stomach and use Boosted Gear's ability to enhance it. While the air mixed the enhanced fire within his stomach, he breath out a large stream of dragon flames from his mouth toward his enemies.
Promotion: Being a Pawn, Kurisei can use promotion to temporarily gain the traits of a Queen, Rook, Knight or Bishop. In Volume 8, after Ajuka Beelzebub rewrote Issei's Evil Pieces, Kurisei can now use Promotion anytime and anywhere without the King's permission.
Enhanced Stamina: Kurisei originally possesses average stamina. After being reincarnated into a Devil along with his daily training with Rias, Kurisei obtains more stamina to use the Boosted Gear. Following his training with Tannin in the Underworld, Issei obtains even more stamina that he could used when in Balance Breaker. He eventually obtains enough stamina to activate his Scale Mail without countdown. After becoming a Ghoul, his stamina has increased to the point where is capable of fighting off an entire horde of enemies, an unlike most Ukaku Ghouls, he is not easily tired out after a short period of time, partially due to him devouring many Ghouls.
Immense Strength: In the beginning of the series, Kurisei's strength was considered to be below average compared to others. After his training with Rias and the others in the mountain, Kurisei when using his Boosted Gear shows that he could go on level with Riser's servant. After his training with Tannin, Kurisei's strength is further enhanced along with his daily training. His strength is further shown when he fought against Rizevim Lucifer who is a super devil. It is also stated various times in the light novel that his power is equal to that of an Ultimate Class devil. Azazel also stated that out of the young devils that there is only one person who can fight Issei head on that being the former strongest young devil Sairaorg Bael further displaying Kurisei's strength. As a Ghoul, his power has gone beyond normal limits, and can fight against even powerful opponents such as Tatara and even Shachi, the latter of which being arguably one of the most physically strong among Ghouls.
Immense Durability: Kuriseiwas originally very weak and vulnerable, easily hurt by the simplest attack. After his training with Tannin, where he was forced to survive Tannin's continuous assault, Kurisei's durability greatly improves, along with his daily training further enhanced his durability to the point where his body could withstand continuous usage of the Boosted Gear which he couldn't do so in the beginning. In fact, Kurisei's durability has been proven several times against opponents like Sairaorg Bael, Cao Cao, Grendel and many others. After becoming an artificial Ghoul, his durability has reached a new level to where he is perfectly capable of withstanding many serious injuries that would have otherwise killed other opponents.
Master Hand-to-hand Combatant: Kurisei was originally unskilled in fighting but after the training with Koneko and Kiba, Kurisei manages to obtain basic hand-to-hand combat skills. After his training with Tannin, Kurisei becomes more skilful in combat, having to learn how to survive Tannin's assault. In fact Kurisei's prowess in hand-to-hand combat is shown when he went toe-to-toe with Sairaorg Bael, a fellow master martial artist in a fist fight. His training in Aogiri has also further enhanced these teachings, as for a time, he studied underneath Shachi, a master of all fighting styles, and arguably one of the strongest Ghouls, in terms of pure strength alone.
Survival Skills: Because of his training under Tannin, Issei has developed survival skills.
Stealth: Issei has also learned how to mask his presence from people.
Flight: Originally, Kurisei was unskilled with his Devil wings, but after becoming a Ghoul, he was able to properly fly. He also uses his Ukaku Kagune to go even faster, and also for defense.
Boosted Gear (赤龍帝の籠手ブーステッド･ギア, Būsuteddo Gia): Issei's Sacred Gear and main weapon. The Boosted Gear is one of the 13 Longinus which holds the spirit of the Welsh Dragon, the Red Dragon Emperor, Ddraig, one of the Heavenly Dragons. It is said to have the power to kill a God when fully mastered. Boosted Gear takes the form of a red gauntlet on the wielder's left hand that has the ability to Boost the user's power every 10 seconds without limit, and its sub-ability can Transfer the multiplied power to a being or object, it can even be used on certain parts of the user's body such as the eyes for enhanced vision.
- Boosted Gear: Scale Mail (赤龍帝の鎧ブーステッド・ギア・スケイルメイル, Būsuteddo Gia: Sukeiru Meiru): The Balance Breaker of Boosted Gear that creates a Red Dragon Armor. Kurisei first activated his imperfect version of Scale Mail in Volume 2 by making a pact with Ddraig by giving his left hand to the latter. During his first battle against Vali, Kurisei used a bracelet given to him by Azazel which allowed him to use the imperfect version of Scale Mail for less than 15 minutes. Kurisei completed his Balance Breaker during his fight against Kuroka, poking Rias' breast to trigger the evolution. In this form Kurisei can Boost without the 10 second limit. At the back of his armor there are two rocket boosters that gives a temporary boost of speed and flight. After the activation of the Juggernaut Drive, Kurisei's Scale Mail gained a pair of retractable Dragon Wings with pteranodon-like claws that he can use as arms.
Dividing Wyvern Fairy (白龍皇の妖精達ディバイディング・ワイバーン・フェアリー, Dibaidingu Waibān Fearī): Originally taking the form of Dividing Gear (白龍皇の籠手ディバイディング・ギア, Dibaidingu Gia), a white gauntlet on Kurisei's right hand which he obtained in his initial battle against Vali in Volume 4. Kurisei placed one of the jewels on Vali's armor to his, creating the Dividing Gear which allows him to use Albion's dividing powers. This ability, however, reduces Kurisei's lifespan and thus was banned by Azazel.
Juggernaut Drive (覇龍ジャガーノート・ドライヴ, 'Jagānōto Doraivu'): A form unique to the Boosted Gear and Divine Dividing. The Juggernaut Drive temporarily removes the seal placed on the Heavenly Dragons granting the user immense power. The Juggernaut Drive, however, causes the user to lose sanity while having their lives devoured by the power. Issei indirectly activates an incomplete version of this form when he thought Asia was killed by Shalba Beelzebub with the negative emotion overpowering him thus triggering the Juggernaut Drive. In this form, Issei's speed is greatly increased to the extent that it can be hard for one's sight to follow. This form is also capable of creating Dragon arms and blades from the gems of the armor. It is contains a small cannon within the mouth of the helm that shoots out a laser beam. It's finishing is Longinus Smasher (ロンギヌス・スマッシャー Ronginusu Sumasshā), the most powerful attack of the Boosted Gear. A launcher appears from the chest of the form that is capable of shooting a powerful energy beam of immense destructive power.
- Imperius Juggernaut Drive (Imperiusジャガーノートドライブ, Imperius jagānōtodoraibu): A unique form created by Kurisei and the alternate Issei Hyoudou. Unlike the original Juggernaut Drive, this form relies on the power of Kurisei's own magic power as fuel, and retains his sanity. It is a much more powerful variant of the Juggernaut Drive, but is still relatively imperfect, as Kurisei could only maintain it for thirty seconds.
Illegal Move Triaina (赤龍帝の三叉成駒イリーガル・ムーブ・トリアイナ, Irīgaru Mūbu Toriaina): The Illegal Move Triaina is a specialized technique used by Kurisei that changes his Scale Mail armor into three different forms based on the Evil Pieces system.
- Welsh Sonic Boost Knight (龍星の騎士ウェルシュ・ソニックブースト・ナイト, Werushu Sonikku Būsuto Naito): Triaina's Knight form. In this form, Kurisei possesses enormous speed that far surpasses Sairaorg's speed, but to make full use of it, Kurisei must shed his excess armor, causing it to become thin to the point where it has low defense, making him vulnerable to powerful attacks.
- Welsh Dragonic Rook (龍剛の戦車ウェルシュ・ドラゴニック・ルーク, Werushu Doragonikku Rūku): Triaina's Rook Form. In this form, Kurisei possesses a massive amount of power and defense but has a low body maneuvering speed because of the massive, thickened armor. It's finishing move is Solid Impact (ソリッドインパクト, Soriddo Inpakuto), a punch that has its power and speed increased by nailing the percussion hammer located at his elbow.
- Welsh Blaster Bishop (龍牙の僧侶ウェルシュ・ブラスター・ビショップ, Werushu Burasutā Bishoppu): Triaina's Bishop Form. In this form, Kurisei possesses an enormous amount of magical energy, which he applies it to the two cannons at the back of his armor. It's finishing move is Dragon Blaster (ドラゴンブラスター Doragon Burasutā), a severely boosted equivalent of his Dragon Shot capable of leveling battlefields and briefly warp space-time. The drawbacks to this is the amount of time it takes to charge the cannons and stamina lost with each shot.
- Cardinal Crimson Promotion (真紅の赫龍帝カーディナル・クリムゾン・プロモーション, Kādinaru Kurimuzon Puromōshon): The Scale Mail's Queen Form that is achieved by gaining the "True Queen". This form changes the color of Kurisei's Scale Mail armor from red to crimson. Cardinal Crimson Promotion incorporates all three Evil Pieces traits, making it the most balanced and most powerful form of Issei's Scale Mail, having power equivalent or more than the Juggernaut Drive. In this form, Kurisei is capable of using enhanced versions of the Illegal Move Triaina's abilities. This form, however, is still unstable and requires mastering the three forms of Illegal Move Triaina to stabilize its powers.
Ascalon (アスカロン, Asukaron): A Holy Sword given to him by the Archangel Michael after some alterations, Kurisei was able to wield and merge the sword with his Boosted Gear and keeps it stored inside when not in use. Eventually, Kurisei has learned how to channel the Dragon Slayer power of Ascalon into his Balance Breaker punches, allowing him to harm Dragons more easily. Later, Kurisei managed to combine Ascalon's Dragon Slayer ability with his Crimson Blaster.
Following the experiment performed on him by Kanou, Kurisei has become the first-ever Devil/Ghoul hybrid, and thus, his strength has become equivalent to even that of powerful Devils, perhaps even that of an Ultimate Class. With high durability and powerful regeneration that matches even Noro, Kurisei is the third known SSS-Rated Ghoul by the CCG. Kanou goes on to say that, logically speaking, no individual such as Kurisei should exist, as even though he had performed many experiments in the past, using close to a thousand with a Rize-Base and the captured Investigators with a Yoshimura-base, the only successes he had with them were the twins, Ken Kaneki, and Seidou Takizawa. Kurisei was the only success of his Chimera-Kagune experiment, with his nature as a Devil making him the perfect subject for the idea of a Devil becoming a Ghoul. Thanks to his hybrid nature, Kurisei is far superior to other Ghouls, even surpassing the Undefeated Ghoul Investigator, Kishou Arima.
- Kagune: Kurisei was given a Yoshimura-base Kagune alongisde an unknown Ghoul's kakuho, making him an artificial Chimera Ghoul. However, likely because of Boosted Gear's influence, his Ukaku and Bikaku have changed to suit his image, forming into a pair of dragon-like wings and a lashing tail with spikes at the tip. Because of his high RC cell count, Kurisei can fight for long period of time, unlike most Ukaku-users, and is far more powerful. Like Eto and Ayato, he can even form his wings into blades, fighting at close range, and thus eliminating the problem that most long-range Ghouls have. He appears to rely more on his Ukaku and this Bikaku.
- Kurisei has made various parallels to the protagonist of the Tokyo Ghoul franchise, Ken Kaneki.
- Both became artificial Ghouls, albeit under different circumstances.
- Both were tortured to extreme and horrible lengths.
- Both lost memories of their previous lives.
- Both lost their humanity after a romantic date.
- Kurisei is the third Chimera-type Ghoul in the series, the other two being Hinami Fueguchi, and Nutcracker.